Thursday, April 3, 2008

Confessions of a man with an identity crisis

I’m about to confess something pretty serious. Something I’ve been struggling with. I just want to prepare you all: you might want to take some time after I say what I’m about to say. Maybe go get a tonic water or some warm milk and just kind of calm down a little bit. I have to say I’ve been carrying it around for awhile, at least since late last year. But I think it’s best now to just get it out in the open.

I think I might vote for a Democrat.

Yes, that’s right. I know, I know, I know. But this doesn’t mean I have to start listening to Fleetwood Mac, or liking Michael Moore movies. It doesn’t mean I have to hate Rush Limbaugh, or be really happy for Al Gore and his Nobel Prize. Or does it?

If we moved back to the States, would I have to move to the west coast? Would I have to start driving a hybrid? Would I be obligated to recycle?

I’m having a bit of an identity crisis.

I think I’m an Obamacan.

I should have expected this. I knew this whole “experiencing life in a foreign country” thing would affect me.

In all seriousness, here’s some of my thinking:

1. I’m disillusioned with what the Christian right thinks a President can actually accomplish and/or change while in office.

In past elections, for example, my main reasons in voting for a particular candidate revolved around his/her views on abortion and homosexuality, i.e. social conservative issues. I haven’t changed my views on these subjects, only in how to go about changing them. Abortion and homosexuality are evil. But does change revolve around having a socially conservative President, or making laws against these things, or having the right Supreme Court justices? Or does change revolve around Christ so invading a culture as to bring about widespread social change, to one day making these rare things instead of common?

What good does it do to have a law against something, and yet the root problem still remains in the hearts of a majority of Americans? What are some of those root problems? Selfishness. Pride in possessions. Individuality. Consumerism. Focus on productivity. Naturalism. Denying God.

The question is: can any President change these heart issues?

2. The Bible does not mandate having a Christian President.

The Bible mandates that we are submissive to the government that God has established over us, regardless of what that government looks like. (Romans 13; 1 Peter 2:13-17) But who are we to vote for? Is our main obligation to vote for whoever looks to be the most Christian? Who is that even in this election?

3. The War in Iraq.

I don’t have any easy answers. Honestly, I’m torn. I just want to say one thing: I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s flawed to say that the answer for all the governments of the world is democracy. Democracy will not work in many places around the globe, and it’s naïve at best and arrogant at worst to think that it’s a one-size fits all solution.

4. Foreign policy.

This has become probably the most important issue to me (for good reason, I think). I have experienced firsthand a glimpse of what the rest of the world thinks of us. I think the U.S. has generally taken a very isolationist approach, while at the same time being a world superpower and being very active in foreign affairs. To explain more of what I mean, I think the rest of the countries of the world (or more specifically countries who are part of the U.N.) take being part of the U.N. very seriously. It’s very important to be a part of that community. The U.S., even though a part of the U.N., are seen as putting themselves above/outside that community.

I also think that Bush has made a habit of not meeting/negotiating/engaging in diplomacy with his enemies. I think these are exactly the people the U.S. President needs to be meeting with.

I also want to see more interest taken in African nations. Tanzanians are still talking about Bush’s trip here, and the generosity of the U.S. in giving money to fight AIDS/malaria and to help build roads/infrastructure. That trip went a long way in combatting the common image people have of Bush/America.

5. The environment.

I’m much more inclined to be environmentally conscious now than ever before. I would probably recycle now in the States. I’m rethinking my ideas regarding global warming, i.e. I think there’s a lot more we could be doing to curb our greenhouse gas emissions, even if Al Gore’s wrong.

6. Concern about Darfur, Sudan.

It seems to me that there’s a lot more we could be doing that we’re not. Did we not learn anything from Rwanda, Somalia, etc.?

Please send your comments/questions/concerns/violent verbal backlashes, etc.

Thanks for reading.

-T.M.

3 comments:

Jeff Roth said...

you know what's weird bro, is that I am experiencing the same exact thing in my life right now as well. However the question that I have been asking myself is when did it get settled that the only thing on God's heart is a hatred for murder and sexual immorality? In other words, social justice and environment issues matter and are abominations to God as well(social injustice and an abuse of the rest of creation are abominations not social justice and the environment). This is my point of struggle and tension.

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I've been thinking about your post and just now got around to responding. As you know, I'm no lover of democracy (to be blunt, I think it's a misrepresentation of God that has clouded the minds of Americans and given them the delusion of a type of freedom they were not created with and thus don't have). That said, I live in this silly thing (i.e. democracy/republic) and I function as a part of it. Another thing I want to offer my agreement on is the foolishness of wanting to elect a "Christian" president. That's never the point. We're not meant to be a theocracy, nor should we be. And besides, it pisses me off that people associate Bush with Christianity, as though he's to be viewed as our representative in the public eye. It's ridiculous to think he has anything but verbal ties to Christianity, and I'm pretty much convinced that he's taken advantage of "dumb evangelicalism" for the last 8 years.

That said, I can't go with you to Mr. Obama. I mean...after all, his middle name's Hussein. Does that remind you of anybody? (That wasn't serious for any of your sarcasm-impaired readers) For real, though, I think it's vitally significant that we focus on the pro-life issue, and I believe that it's our responsibility to back a political solution as best we can, even if the answer is that hearts need to be changed. Though I agree with that for sure, it's still true that appointment of supreme court justices is perhaps the most significant good thing a president can do in this issue, and it seems vital to me that the president be committed (whether it's for political, religious, orselfish reasons...I don't care why) to fighting abortion in our nation.

I say that for one main reason. We have to take a defensive and offensive posture in this, and we have to be fighting alongside anyone who will agree with us in this issue whether they see eye to eye with us on the nature of God or not. What I mean is, stopping the legalized and simple abortion procedures will save lives...and I care more about that than I do about the hearts of the people doing it...at least as a first step. In other words, I'd rather get my kids out of the burning house before I figured out how to reach out to the jackass who set the fire.

Do I care about the environment and social justice (well...social justice more so, but yes to both, but in a different degree than you). But I do consider the issue of abortion to be more of an emergency. I mean, if one problem is to be focused on, it doesn't seem like there's as much at stake in the environment question as in the abortion question. And even if there was, doesn't the president have even less influence in that area than he does in the issue of abortion?

Okay, these are some of my thoughts, and I'd love to talk some more. I love your blog, brother, and I love keeping up with you this way. If you want to, feel free to email and we can talk that way if you'd prefer. I love you brother. Talk to you later.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim it was good for you to share your thoughts and struggles, open and honest.
I got to say that though I respect your opinion and I think you have a lot of good questions I disagree with what seems to be your conclusion(at least what I think it was). Now I will be the first to say that things in government are f-ed up but honestly that is what we get when we live in a fallen world full of creatures who are selfish, cowardly, and inherently without hope. However, disillusionment cannot lead us to grow weary of doing good or fighting the good fight. Now I know your not trying to give up, but I can sense a lot of frustration, which I can very much empathize with. I am sick of seeing the atrocities committed in the name of personal freedom, convenience, and
national interests.
Now as for your specific issues I'll try to address them quickly. 1)Just because a President may not be able to stop abortion does not mean we should not stop supporting one who fights against it. Otherwise you are choosing to support someone who not only thinks it is acceptable or even encouraged. There is no middle ground when it comes to genocide, depravity, and eugenics.
2)The Bible does not mandate a Christian leader, but if there is an opportunity to have one or at least one who supports Christian issues why not try.
3)The answer is not always democracy (and like mr. v-licious I find it quite irksome) but when the choice is a flawed system that at least attempts to see human rights and order upheld and a mass murdering, bigoted, megalomaniac I think the choice is obvious.
4)The US ever since WW2 has always been a power unto itself (especially in our own minds) and lets face it no American President will make it very far in trying to change that. America was birthed in audacity and bull-headedness (I mean who honestly takes on the most powerful military in the world with farmers and pitchforks)and so we will always have this "do it our way" attitude. As for Bush and his enemies, the biggest problem is most of Bush's (ie America's) enemies are polarized beyond talking (Iran and NK are good examples) and many others are not official bodies just rogue organizations. How do you negotiate with zealots and fanatics? And sorry but part of the being a self-centered culture is that we don't give a damn about anything that doesn't directly affect us, and even then we would rather have our heads up our butts then fix it. How much more the problems of people we never think about?
5)I'll be honest that I have not paid much head to the argument and can't really comment.
6)Its sad but the main idea is just more Africans killing each other, nothing new (sad but true). As said before we are wretched creatures but Democrat or Republican this thing is hard to get anyone to pay attention. I mean how long has it been going on now more than eight years I think. It would be a miracle for any President to even dream of changing this.

I love you guys and we miss you lots. We love seeing the pictures of you guys, especially Miciah (who we feel great sadness that she is growing up without us), and we pray for you everyday. Let us know if you need anything (prayer, supplies, extra financial support) and we will do what we can.

We love you guys,
Aaron (and Rainy)