So, the last article I wrote concerning poverty and missionary lifestyle got me thinking about a slightly related issue I’ve been bothered with as of late.
It has to do with expectations of a missionary; both his own expectations of himself, as well as others’ expectations of him. Specifically, in regards to the concept of the “missionary hero”, and how this concept changes these expectations. William Carey. Adoniram Judson.
I find hearing about the lives of these missionaries to be extremely encouraging. The reoccuring theme that I find so encouraging is the constant response of faith to suffering. And so it’s interesting that the very thing I find so encouraging is also the thing that bothers me the most. And here’s why. The problem is not the missionary hero’s response of faith to suffering, and the application of that needed encouragement to my own faith, it’s this: that others expect on some level that those sufferings will be the same today (or very similar), and if they’re not, then the modern missionary does not measure up. Plus, I find that I have those same sort of expectations of myself, whether I want to or not. I’ll call it a missionary-hero complex (MHC).
These missionaries never went on furlough.
These missionaries never took a vacation.
These missionaries never saw their families again.
These missionaries lost many of their children.
These missionaries lived with malaria, and a lack of drugs to treat.
These missionaries had to travel by boat for months on end.
Etc.
This is what Dr. J. Herbert Kane says:
Thoughts? Thanks for reading.
-T.M.


2 comments:
I think if you tell most Americans you live in Africa they'll think you're saints so no need to have an MHC. It is sad the the idea of a cross-cultural missionary is synonymous for poverty stricken family. I find that ridiculous. I think it would be silly for missionaries to go without certain "luxuries" in order to continue their ministry. Technology today connects people in a way that was not possible before. The most obvious example I can think of is the internet. Since we have become (for better or worse) a visual society having that immediate feed of information is a DAILY reminder of those in missions. We do not have to wait for a telegram, written letter or even a long distance phone call. I also think it helps missionaries to know they have not been forgotten by their friends from "home" or their church. So no need to compare yourself to those who came before you besides I'm not sure if they were as awesome as you guys. ;)
Very interesting post, Tim! Very thought provoking. Glad to have found your blog, Tom and Angela
Post a Comment