Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

We have a lot to be thankful for.  Despite feeling a bit more melancholy than usual lately, Thanksgiving is a welcomed reminder to think through all the blessings the Lord has given to our family.  This year we each wrote a couple things every day in November and by Thanksgiving had a very full "Thankfulness Jar."  It was refreshing to read through all the things we had named-- ranging from favorite movies and games to having electricity (Micaiah's!) and good mosquito nets to our family and friends around the world.  God has provided and we praise Him.

Last year we had Thanksgiving dinner by ourselves.  We shared a meal with our househelper and gardener at lunch, but our dinner was just us.  So this year one of the things we were especially thankful for was having friends to share our holiday with!  Granted no one who came was American, but we really enjoy sharing our customs and traditions with our expat friends!  And having just come off UK week, it was good to get re-settled in our American traditions. :)
A full table this year...
Micaiah and I decorated using some things that were left behind by other missionaries.  We also did place cards that were little turkeys-- Micaiah really enjoys crafts, so it was a lot of fun! 
Our place settings and all the food!
Some Thanksgiving decor left by the Langs that I think originally came from other missionaries in Mbeya.

Not sure what this pose was...
The meal consisted of two chickens (that despite my boiling-roasting methods were unfortunately still a bit chewy), mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, carrots, corn, and homemade applesauce (both regular and cran-apple, thanks to some craisins that Ally brought us in July!).  For dessert we had pumpkin bars, apple pie, and homemade banana ice cream.  I was definitely missing turkey this year, but all in all it was a good meal and we enjoyed our Thanksgiving holiday.

-JLR

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay craisins that I brought!!! :) I was thinking that last Micaiah pose was thanks to me? :) Kidding! But I'm so glad you had a good Thanksgiving!
- Ally

the Roths said...

Oh I know! I was scrambling to find something with the cranberry flavor, which is a high priority for Tim, especially. Then I remembered about the craisins I was storing in my wazungu foodstuff stash for a rainy day (or granola). :) They saved the day! Now that I've opened the package, I'm thinking cranberry almond biscotti as one of our Christmas cookies. And yes, M says thanks-- it was truly "awesome sauce." :)