Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Do you know what VORP is?

Until the end of last year, I always avoided playing fantasy baseball because:

1. It seemed really nerdy.

(not that I’m necessarily opposed to being really nerdy, after all I’m a linguist, but maybe it’s just the combination of too many nerdy activities at once)

2. It seemed potentially addictive.

3. I never understood why it was called Rotisserie League baseball.

(and it kind of bothered me that it was called that—the French don’t even play baseball).

However:

It seems like a lot of fun.

Yes, it seems really nerdy to know Chad Tracy’s OPS from last year (exactly .800!), and to know what WHIP and VORP are. But, I had a knack for knowing these sorts of things anyways, so what do I have to lose?

Here’s the summary of my team for this year:

C Bengie Molina
1B Mark Teixeira
2B Orlando Hudson
SS Hanley Ramirez
3B Aramis Ramirez
OF Andruw Jones
OF Mark Kotsay
OF Aaron Rowand

P Roy Oswalt
P Barry Zito
P Jeff Francis
P Adam Wainwright
P Adam Eaton/Matt Morris

CL: Jason Isringhausen

-T.M.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've avoided playing fantasy baseball for several of the same reasons. Additionally, I've been a rather marginal baseball fan.

My office mates talked me into it this year. Looks like we have several of the same players:

3B Aramis Ramirez
P Roy Oswalt
P Adam Wainwright
CL: Jason Isringhausen

Jon Luman