This is the recipe I've been using for pizza crust, if you are interested. I got the base from my sister-in-law and have been tweaking the wheat/white flour combination since this summer. Half and half works well, but I also tried 2 c wheat and 1 c white this past time and it was ok. It didn't rise as much as the other, but it tasted great! This is a very basic dough recipe-- probably similar to many others out there, I think.
1 C warm water (1/2 C boiling plus 1/2 cup room temp, then allow to cool only slightly)
1 T yeast
1 T sugar
1 T oil
3 C flour (1 1/2 C each of white and whole wheat)
1 t. salt
A bit extra flour
A bit extra oil
A sprinkle of cornmeal
Dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar and oil, stir, and allow to set for 5 minutes. Once you see bubbles forming, add salt and flour. Knead on lightly floured surface for 7-10 minutes or until not sticky-- try not to add too much additional flour during this step. Lightly oil the dough and place in a bowl, covered, in a warm place until it has doubled in size. Punch down. While dough rests for ~5 min, put small amount of oil into the pan (I usually use two small/med nonstick cookie sheets-- approx 9x13) and spread evenly. Should just be a very light coating. Sprinkle cornmeal lightly over the pan/oil. This helps keep the pizza from sticking once cooked. Roll out dough and place in pan(s), folding over the edges if desired to form a crust. I often put freshly minced garlic on at this point-- just mince and combine with small amt of butter, then brush on. Top with sauce and desired toppings (veggies, pineapple, meat, cheese, etc.)
--JLR
Are Our Headlights Out? (July 26, 2021)
5 years ago


4 comments:
Thanks for the recipe! How then do you cook the pizza? On a pan? On the rack? For how long? Do you pre-bake the crust or cook it all with the toppings on it?
I lightly oil 2 nonstick cookie sheets and sprinkle cornmeal on both. Divide the dough in half, roll each part out, put on pans, add sauce, add toppings, bake (all together) at 450 F for about 15-20 min or until cheese is brown and bubbly. Watch it well the first couple times until you know your oven's personality for pizza-cooking. The crust is thin enough that it doesn't get soggy, but thick enough that it is chewy-- ideal in my opinion!
I absolutely LOVE this recipe... hope you enjoy it!
Thanks for the recipe, I am adding it to this weeks menu plan. I will let you know how it goes!
yes, please do!
Post a Comment