I had a revelation this morning. This week I have been struggling with being so far away from Tim. We're more than halfway through his trip, but it must be an emotional slump of some sort-- the excitement of him leaving on this great adventure has passed, but the excitement of his impending return has not yet arrived!
As I sat here in tears this morning missing the man who knows me better than anyone else in the world, I was struck with the realization that this parallels (or should parallel!) my relationship with Christ. I can get busy and distracted with various things and go a few days without talking to God, but I start to fall apart if I go too long. I'm not talking about Bible study or praying through a list of prayer requests (though those things are also important), I'm talking about meeting with God in a personal way-- hearing His voice, knowing Him and being known by Him. Tim was able to talk with me for a few minutes this morning on the phone, and just hearing his voice secured me in my relationship with him! I was comforted in an amazing way knowing that he loved me and cared for me and would be praying for me even from so far away. This was a huge encouragement to take all of my emotions to God-- that He cared even more about me and what I was going through than my husband ever could!
Sometimes I feel like God is so far away. But other times I wonder if it's only my perception or the expectations that I put on God to be something He isn't. I am more encouraged now than ever to pray and to spend that personal intimate time with Him. It's like hearing my husband's voice.
-JLR
Are Our Headlights Out? (July 26, 2021)
5 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment