Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Calling All Drug Addicts...

Today I got some AMAZING news from my naturopathic doctor... my thyroid gland is healed!  If you've been following my health issues, you know that I had sub-clinical hypothyroidism along with a whole host of other issues related to stress hormones.  Some of those are still being worked out, but the thyroid is healed!  Woohoo!  The quality of my blood is also doing a lot better (hematocrit and hemoglobin values), so my iron-deficient anemia is also nearly gone. 

I'm in the process of weaning myself off of these natural/herbal supplements, which has presented some challenges.  The big one is how to divide a 45mg porcine thyroid dose into three equal parts... do I need to get out a mirror and a razor blade??  Anyone have any ideas for how to practically accomplish this??  The medication is in a gelatin capsule that I theoretically should be able to open (without spilling the contents everywhere??), but I don't know how graceful I will be with this.  I'm open to any ideas, especially ones that don't make me look like a drug addict... :)

I tell you what, after all this time of being sick, figuring out the 'hows' of lowering my dose is a good problem to have!

-JLR

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Yes! As a matter of fact I do! Having come off of my sleeping pill and trying to wean it very very gradually I tried this water titration method. Basically- smush the pill and mix it with water (maybe a volume amount that is easily divisible by 3) and voila- you can get it into 3rds or well, whatever fraction you want! For patients at the hospital with caplets- that we have to put into tubes down their throats etc- they're easy enough to open, then just mix the powder with water. May take a few tries- but voila.

the Roths said...

Sweet! Thanks Shannon!!

Kirstie said...

This is such great news, Jeana! So glad to hear you are getting better better better!