Bears hibernate. We learned about that in school this year. And while I'm not a bear, I do feel as though this winter has been a time of metaphorically pulling myself in to conserve energy. It has been a very difficult season, and I'm hoping the long winter is nearly over. I actually just read the Long Winter (Little House series) and I really appreciated their struggle to survive. In a way, I feel similarly-- that the cold (metaphorical) blizzards that have hit us time and time again during this season have nearly paralyzed me. But I resonate with Paul's writings in 2 Corinthians 4:
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed.
I don't plan to go back and catch up on everything that happened in the past five months, but let me hit a few highlights:
--We had a very special Christmas season with friends. We built a gingerbread house, watched Christmas movies, had a traditional English Christmas feast (including Christmas crackers, Christmas pudding, and Christmas cake!), and had our traditional Cookies & Carols Christmas party... which resulted in weeks of leftover cookies!
--We went to Nairobi in January for medical tests and a much-needed change of scenery. While there we (together with our organization and the advice of doctors) made some difficult decisions. We decided to leave Mpanda in May for an earlier-than-expected return to our home country and that we would take a medical leave to follow up on some concerning (though thankfully non-urgent) symptoms I was (and still am) having.
--Despite difficult decisions, we had a wonderful time in Nairobi and later visiting friends and the project in Musoma, where we worked from 2007-2009. It was good to see so many familiar faces and reconnect. We also got to do some field trips to the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage and Giraffe Centre in Nairobi, which was timely since we were on our Africa unit in homeschool!
--We have grown so very close to another family that was living in Mpanda. They were a real blessing and such a joy to be around. We will miss them a lot.
--We finished units on Asia (studying India, Saudi Arabia, China, Japan, Russia) and Australia/Oceania (studying Australia and New Zealand) and finally Antarctica.
--Since then we have been sorting and packing and sorting and packing... could be the story of my life. We have moved so much in our 10+ years of marriage that I really do feel like a nomad sometimes. I think each time we move we do get a bit better at it, but I think I'm good now...seriously... I've learned all I want to learn... please, God?!
--This week we are finishing up and will move to a guesthouse so we can get the final things out of the house. Then onward to Mbeya, Dar, Kenyan coast, back to Dar, and finally the US.... if all goes according to plan. And since This Is Africa (T.I.A.), when does anything ever go according to plan?!
There. I think I'm caught up. I do have a few pictures I'll want to post when I can get to decent internet, but for now I'm just going to focus on waking up.
-JLR
Are Our Headlights Out? (July 26, 2021)
5 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment