I just saw this cookbook (More-With-Less) on our friends' blogs and it reminded me that I've been wanting to find a copy for myself. Another one I had borrowed from friends in Tanzania and would love my own copy of is the Newcomer's Guide to Cooking in Africa.Does anyone out there happen to have spare copies of these? Or other recommendations for cookbooks that have great from-scratch recipes that don't take hours and hours to make? Oh, and when I say "from-scratch," I do truly mean that (perhaps the image of a big hunk of beef from the butcher that needs to be cut up and ground in my own kitchen will help, if it doesn't make you entirely sick to your stomach). I guess the up side is that dry beans and legumes no longer intimidate me!
-JLR


4 comments:
Sorry Jeana - there's not much "from scratch" cooking going on in my kitchen so I'm probably not a very good point of reference on this one...
Uncle Tim did teach me how to make gravy at Christmas. Next time I make my own Turkey we'll see if I can still remember or if I revert back to the jar...
I'll keep an eye out next time I go to the Book Thing, my free book source. If I see it I will pop it in with Betsy Tacy, which I am sorry to say is still sitting in an (addressed) envelope on my desk- haven't gotten to the PO yet! I dread going there- bad parking, long lines... so I save up my mailings till I have a bunch!
Jaime- you'll have to teach me Uncle Tim's gravy techniques. I've tried gravies several times and still haven't found one I consistently like.
Kirstie- no worries! Micaiah is in 2 other chapter books at the moment, so it would be at least a few weeks before we could possibly start it anyway. Alice in Wonderland with Daddy, Anne of Green Gables with Mama, plus lots of shorter ones for bedtime and from the library. :) thanks for being my East-coast-book-scout!!!
I don't have a copy, but I just put one on hold at my local library. Thanks for the suggestion, it looks like a great resource. Katie
Post a Comment