I'm a bit nervous about Lent this year. "Giving something up for Lent" in my experience has always been an optional activity. I don't come from a background where it is expected or required, though I have always known others to do it. Some people give up soda, some give up alcohol, some tv... to be honest, I haven't participated in giving anything up for a number of years. But this year I was thinking a lot about some of the luxuries I could fast from and Facebook continued to rise to the top of the list. I view it primarily as a "water cooler" venue among many friends around the globe. I love it. But I spend way too much time on it. And I don't need it to survive. I have even had to ask myself if I love it more than God. I'm ashamed at my answer some days. But... could I really give it up for 46 days (Lent doesn't actually include the Sundays between Easter, but let's get real... how tempting would it be to check FB just once a week?!?!?)?? Could I really give up Bejeweled and some of my other addicting Facebook games?? The more I realized that my answer was "no" to some of these questions, the more I realized that I probably should fast from FB, and what better opportunity than Lent.
So that's what I'm doing. I'll probably have to blog on here much more often as I detox, and who knows I might actually catch up on my emails! (gasp!) But I'm looking forward to using at least a big chunk of that time for some extra Bible study and staying up-to-date on the Beth Moore study I'm doing now (which is kicking my butt, I might add!).
So there you have it. See ya in a couple months, Facebook!
-JLR
Are Our Headlights Out? (July 26, 2021)
5 years ago


3 comments:
Wow, I am impressed. It's funny, the same thought actually occurred to me too- fasting from FB. But, um, I haven't done it. Do you read emails that come from FB? Well, blog away! I look forward to more.
Kirstie-- you know, what would REALLY be impressive is not getting myself to a place where cutting FB out of my life for a month and a half was not a life-changing endeavor! But sadly that is not the case. :)
I should be able to get FB emails if they are emailed to my sil account. If you sent something and I haven't responded, you might just try my sil email address. :)
Well, I asked about FB emails because I get a notification every time someone makes a comment on my profile or sends me a message... and the hardest part would not be logging on to respond! I'd have to email them or something instead, but the temptation would always be there!
Post a Comment