Saturday, April 24, 2010

Mixed Feelings

Today I found out that Jennifer Knapp has returned to the music scene. As one of her most faithful supporters in the late 90s and early 2000s, I always dreamed this day would come... but there is a hangup. There always is, isn't there? She has come back to the music scene, but is now a self-proclaimed lesbian. I struggled all afternoon (since reading a few articles online confirming both her return and her sexual status) to figure out how we should respond as Christians. I am a sinner in need of grace and I believe that grace should overflow onto others as well-- and I believe it does. The problem is that in reading Scripture I can't ignore that homosexuality is called sin. I get that we all deal with sin and that none of us is completely free of it this side of heaven. But I want to be free of it. I call it sin and I struggle against it and all that I do not want to do, as Paul wrote. I pray for God's abundant grace to cover it. So the issue is quite clearly that I disagree with Jennifer (and others) about whether or not homosexuality is actually sin. That's the heart of the issue.

So now I have to figure out how to reconcile my respect for Jennifer Knapp as an artist, a musician, and as one who was more than instrumental in my life-- both musically and in faith-- with disagreeing with her over some important parts of Scripture. Anyone have any wisdom to share?

btw, I read this blog post today and felt this guy had such a good perspective and balance between grace and truth. If you haven't been following this story, I'd recommend reading his blog and also checking out the Larry King interview on youtube.

-JLR

4 comments:

Rainy said...

this makes me sad. really sad. jennifer knapp is probably my favorite christian artist.i am just praying she repents, and doesn't lead anyone else astray. However, she is in a position where her voice will be heard, and now, instead of being a voice that pursues righteousness -- it is a voice that is advocating sin.

this depresses me! but, we have all had those people in our lives that have been in rebellion, God can pull her out too.

the Roths said...

I know what you mean, and I'm so sorry to be the one to break the news to you! -Jeana

kimom said...

Hi Jeana! I don't know that you know me, but I saw your link on K.Hill's blog and your name is so familiar! Did we talk in Nairobi? Were y'all at NEGST before? Anyway, I totally relate to most of what you write including this. Her music was instrumental in my discipleship and in my own small way I now grieve the artist I appreciated so much. Her sin doesn't make me not want to listen. And I think it's better that she's honest than to live in shame and hide things. But it sadly means her work will no longer be such a source of encouragement to me. This is not so different from when Amy Grant got divorced for me (except that her music didn't so intimately speak to me). And I still enjoy the old Jennifer Knapp work. Why is it we always crave the 'new'?

Ok. Hugs from Congo!
Kimberly

the Roths said...

Hi Kim, I don't know whether I've actually met you in person, but I definitely know who you are through other people! :) We were at NEGST briefly to visit friends in Dec 2006/Jan 2007 (around the elections, lucky us!). We were the Hills' neighbors in Musoma, too. I also feel like I know you a bit from the WW list. Would we have met at another time? Thanks for the comment and for the great perspective on how to view JK's situation. -Jeana