Tim has told me that the reason I don't get more comments on my blog is because I'm not controversial enough. It's true. I value peace and while I'm working on not being as much of a people-pleaser, I honestly just don't like it when people disagree. As I learn more about myself I realize it's not as much the disagreeing I dislike, but the value judgments that go with disagreements-- "you must be stupid to believe x, y, or z!" My desire to have the "right answer" goes all the way back to my school days of being the teacher's pet and probably even before that. As a result, I find that I mentally rate/rank my blog post ideas based on what might offend which of my readers and what angle on any topic would offend the least number of people... that's hard to do when I know people from so many nationalities, cultural backgrounds, political leanings, and even different denominations in the church! In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'm likely to postpone my post or even abandon my idea altogether! I may start to post those thoughts more on here. Not because I'm trying to stir the proverbial pot (though I have been known to enjoy that on occasion), but because I am who I am and this blog is where I put my thoughts. Or where I should be free to put my thoughts. And it's ok to think differently than others-- even other Christians (gasp!)-- and engage with others in meaningful conversation on issues that really matter... it is, right?? We can all be adults here and have an intelligent conversation, right? We shall see...
So has anyone else been following the drama on the Rob Bell book that's going to be released in 11 days? :)
-JLR
Are Our Headlights Out? (July 26, 2021)
5 years ago


1 comment:
Ha - I'll look forward to hearing your controversial thoughts! Seriously, I think it's really important to be able to respectfully disagree with people and to be open to learning from people who think differently from us. I wonder if a lot of the time we (meaning our culture in general) can be tempted to shy away from controversy because we don't know how to humbly and respectfully engage with people who disagree with us.
I think for me I find it extra hard that many of those who read our website are people who are supporting us, or may support us, and I'm afraid our support level may drop if I say certain things...!!
So what are your guys' thoughts on the Rob Bell stuff?! One of my options for my next MA essay is discussing pluralism, inclusivism and exclusivism in salvation, so I'm in the middle of a book where four theologians discuss their very different views at the moment which is really interesting.
Post a Comment