Thursday, November 14, 2013

Allergy Testing

I got my allergy test results yesterday (blood testing for IgG + IgE).  I don't even want to talk about the results because I don't even want to think that this thing could be right!  If it is, I will have to drastically change my lifestyle, and I don't know if/that I can cope.  I think I'm at the denial stage of my grief...

On a more practical level, how accurate is blood allergy testing?  My naturopathic doctor recommended this test (E-95 through a lab in Washington state) along with gluten saliva testing.  I haven't talked to her yet, but will do so next week and I have a long list of questions for her.  My question for all of you (if you happen to know) is: IS allergy testing reliable?  Suppose one has multiple allergies that are off the charts... hypothetically... would that person have to avoid those foods forever?  Or is it true that a gut-healing diet like GAPS can actually heal the intestines and actually remove the allergies from that hypothetical person?  Any other solutions/ideas?  I know there's a lot of wisdom out there-- and trust me, I'm searching!-- but if anyone has any practical advice, studies, etc., I'd sure love to consider it! 

**note: I love anecdotes and stories, but I think at this point I'm specifically searching for medical journals, holistic health websites that you love, etc.  So send your stories, but also help me with research links when possible!!

JLR

2 comments:

Nate Chisholm said...

I was glad to read up on your thoughts over the past few months. You're right; there's so much out there (scientific and pop culture both) about fad diets for different purposes. I tend to be skeptical, too, although Marj has had the celiac gluten intolerance thing since I've known her; and having seen what happens when she consumes that protein I know that sensitivity is real. After we got married and I saw how she interacts with simple sugars, I wasn't surprised when she was diagnosed as insulin resistant. She's still working through what she can and can't eat related to that diagnosis; but suffice it to say I've had some trouble deciding how to support her with these alternative diets that my body shows no signs of needing. I also had to come to grips with the fact that Marj would never bake me goodies like you describe which for me have a lot of associations with home, love, etc. because they're associated with my mother and my childhood. Of course, Marj has other ways of showing she cares, but those associations should be dealt with or they don't disappear. Sorry I can't offer any medical journal articles; only personal anecdotes!

the Roths said...

Thanks so much for sharing, Nate. We've been amazed by how much is possible on a gluten-free, sugar-free diet. It's not what I'm used to, but I think with time I could learn to love it. I'm still waiting on my two doctors to help me interpret my results (several appts scheduled for the next 7-10 days), so hopefully they'll have some clear ideas of where to go from here. Thanks again! --J