I went to a very disturbing 4th of July church service this year. There was almost a cult-ish feel for a good portion of the service as we (well, those around us anyway) sang songs that had nothing at all to do with God. In fact until about 3/4 of the way through the service I don't even know that I heard God mentioned specifically. Thankfully the final 1/4 of the service was more God-centered and we (all of us this time) sung songs of thanksgiving to God. Before you start to think I am being unfair or unnecessarily harsh, you should know that my in-laws felt similarly uncomfortable about much of the service, and it's their church.
One of the good things about such a disturbing service is that it has had me searching Scripture, praying and thinking about what true patriotism is. How can I thank God in a way that isn't idol worship or country worship? I spend a good portion of my year(s) outside of US borders, which makes it difficult to hold the same sort of national pride as my friends and family here. But I am thankful for my country. I'm thankful for those who have served and who continue to serve today in all levels of government and military.
Have you thought of these things? How do you maintain a healthy national pride without it crossing the line into unhealthy territory? (and that does NOT only apply to Americans!!!) Tim also found this LINK from Relevant Magazine that is very insightful.
-JLR
ps... I can't wait to see the rest of the World Cup games even though the US is out... go Netherlands!!!
Are Our Headlights Out? (July 26, 2021)
5 years ago


1 comment:
Amen.
I cringe just thinking about what I will have to hear on Independence day every year. This year was not as bad as past years. One particularly stands out.
A church we visited in Dallas 8 years ago now. Besides the sermon that glorified the US in untrue, and in, what I thought, very unhealthy ways, was not the worst part. One of the members had written a song called "America Forever," and sung it that morning for church. The name gives a perfect description of the rest of the song.
Dave and I decided to talk to the pastor of this Dallas church, just to see if there was some misunderstanding, like he didn't know what she was going to sing. The sermon should have clued us in to his response. "Yeah, we have a lot of veterans in the congregation, so it is very well taken here." Okay, sure, who cares about it being scriptural. I was heated.
To reiterate what you said, though, I am very glad for my freedom. I'm glad to live in a country where I have a voice. I'm very thankful for the men and women who have served to bring these things to us. But it is not my home, and it will not last "forever."
Post a Comment