Friday, May 13, 2011

Good Deeds

Why do I do the things I do?  I mean really.  I often tell myself that I do things for God, but maybe I'm deceiving myself.  ??

Part of the Sermon on the Mount describes how we should pray and that we should do it privately.  I started reading this passage a couple days ago after Micaiah announced at bedtime that she wanted to learn how to pray longer in front of other people.  She loves talking to God when she's by herself, but has trouble when others are around. Part of me was like, "oh, ok-- that's a good thing to learn," while the other part of me sent up very clear red flags... so we found this passage and began to teach Micaiah about the Sermon on the Mount.  In it, Jesus taught people that there is so much more to obeying the law than the Pharisees would ever admit.  In fact, it's not about rules and legalism, it's about love and grace... the Sermon on the Mount must have convicted all of its listeners that they, too, were in need of a Savior. 

I don't want to teach my daughter legalism in place of true faith! 

So we talked about how what she does in talking with God is actually better than praying in front of other people. This whole line of thinking has sparked a deeper thread in my mind... I think that one of the parts of the Sermon on the Mount that challenges me most is the passage in Matthew 6 that talks about 'acts of righteousness'-- all those good deeds I love to do. 

Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.   Matthew 6:1 

So I was examining my heart and wondered how I would feel if I were never acknowledged or thanked for any good deed I did.  Surely we're intended to thank each other and encourage each other with our words, but my sneaking suspicion is that somewhere along the line I started to crave the encouragement/thanks of man over the encouragement/thanks of my Father in heaven.  And when I start to think that way, all those "good deeds" don't seem so good anymore... they seem tainted by my selfishness and pride.  I'm learning more and more how I need Him each day more than ever!  I can identify with Paul when he writes that he is the "chief of sinners"... (1 Tim 1:15). 

Nothing like a good sober look at who I really am to burst my pride bubble...

-JLR

3 comments:

Kirstie said...

I've actually been reading through these same passages recently too. And was struck by the fact that while he tells us not to do our acts of righteousness before men, to be seen by them, he also tells us to be the salt of the earth and let our "light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." (5:16), Veeeerry interesting, isn't it? I think I need to go meditate some more.

the Roths said...

What are you studying next? I'm enjoying keeping in step with you, Kirstie!!

You're right, I see that there are definitely some things in tension in this passage. Would love to hear more about your thoughts on these seemingly contradictory teachings.

Kirstie said...

I guess it comes down, as usual, to motives of the heart, right? We should be doing them for the glory of God instead of ourselves. So hard. That self just keeps sneaking right in...