We are packing... again. I wish that I had counted the number of days since being married that Tim and I have spent packing. It has to be an outrageous number! We've lived in 10 different homes (staying in a private or semi-private space for more than 4 weeks) plus countless guesthouses and spare rooms in only 7 1/2 years of marriage. And those homes are in 4 different countries (guesthouses in 5!). Wow.
It's not all bad, though. It is quite freeing to have the opportunity to throw away junk and consolidate our earthly belongings every so often. In fact, we consider it a blessing to have so little in terms of material possessions, and to be reminded that this time on earth is so temporary.
That being said, I would love a 'real' home of my own someday, and I pray that God would meet that heart-desire in some way if that's not possible.
--JLR
Are Our Headlights Out? (July 26, 2021)
5 years ago


2 comments:
I also have a love hate relationship with packing. I love the fact that my whole house is organized into these boxes and I know where everything is, but it is so much work. And we have so much stuff, so I am envious of you there. When Dave and I got married, our marriage counselor asked us about our dreams. Mine was to live in a house with a dirt floor. I am not sure if I still have that dream, but I do wish for the simplicity of it some days.
That is an amazing dream, Katie!
I am always amazed by how quickly the 'stuff' collects. It seems like we had it narrowed down to just a few suitcases last summer and now we're packing several rubbermaid containers of stuff to store here over the summer! Thankfully we've been able to consolidate the stuff that's worth keeping for another year.
Post a Comment